SubjectRe: linux-next: unnecessary merge in the v4l-dvb tree
Hi Stephen,

Em Tue, 13 Feb 2018 08:00:36 +1100
Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> escreveu:

> Hi Mauro,
>
> By merging the v4.16-rc1 tag into the v4l-dvb tree, you have created an
> unnecessary merge commit. The v4l-dvb tree was already contained in
> v4.16-rc1, so a fast forward merge was possible, but explicitly merging
> a signed tag will give you a commit instead. In this case, you could
> have just reset your branch to v4.16-rc1 or merged v4.16-rc1^0.

I did the usual way I used to do in the past. Not sure why it ended
by being an explicit merge instead of a fast forward.

On a quick test here, doing:

$ git checkout -b test media/v4.16-2
$ git merge v4.16-rc1

indeed makes produce a merging commit.

I never realized that I could force a fast forward using the weird

$ git merge v4.16-rc1^0

If this is the way we should do git merges, are there a way to make
it default, suppressing the need of a "^0" (either via some .git/config
parameter or changing at git code)? Doing just one such merge once
or twice on every Kernel cycle, I'm pretty sure I'll forget to do
it next time :-)

> Linus, this happens a bit after the merge window, so I am wondering
> about the rational of not doing a fast forward merge when merging a
> signed tag (I forget the reasoning).

Reset my tree on the top of v4.16-rc1 doesn't seem a good option,
as it causes merge issues from media sub-maintainers and from other
developer's trees.

--
Thanks,
Mauro

  Last update: 2018-02-12 22:27    [W:0.046 / U:1.780 seconds]