SubjectRe: [RFC perf,bpf 1/5] perf, bpf: Introduce PERF_RECORD_BPF_EVENT
Date
Hi Peter,

> On Nov 8, 2018, at 7:00 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 06:25:04PM +0000, Song Liu wrote:

>>> Why !? You're failing to explain why it cannot provide the full
>>> information there.
>>
>> Aha, I missed this part. I will add the following to next version. Please
>> let me know if anything is not clear.
>

>> This design decision is picked for the following reasons. First, BPF
>> programs could be loaded-and-jited and/or unloaded before/during/after
>> perf-record run. Once a BPF programs is unloaded, it is impossible to
>> recover details of the program. It is impossible to provide the
>> information through a simple key (like the build ID). Second, BPF prog
>> annotation is under fast developments. Multiple informations will be
>> added to bpf_prog_info in the next few releases. Including all the
>> information of a BPF program in the perf ring buffer requires frequent
>> changes to the perf ABI, and thus makes it very difficult to manage
>> compatibility of perf utility.
>
> So I don't agree with that reasoning. If you want symbol information
> you'll just have to commit to some form of ABI. That bpf_prog_info is an
> ABI too.

At the beginning of the perf-record run, perf need to query bpf_prog_info
of already loaded BPF programs. Therefore, we need to commit to the
bpf_prog_info ABI. If we also include full information of the BPF program
in the perf ring buffer, we will commit to TWO ABIs.

Also, perf-record write the event to perf.data file, so the data need to be
serialized. This is implemented in patch 4/5. To include the data in the
ring buffer, we will need another piece of code in the kernel to do the
same serialization work.

On the other hand, processing BPF load/unload events synchronously should
not introduce too much overhead for meaningful use cases. If many BPF progs
are being loaded/unloaded within short period of time, it is not the steady
state that profiling works care about.

Would these resolve your concerns?

Thanks,
Song

  Last update: 2018-11-08 19:06    [W:0.162 / U:0.072 seconds]