SubjectRe: -Wswitch Clang warnings in drivers/scsi
On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 11:57 PM Nathan Chancellor
<natechancellor@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 02:16:49PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 11:45 AM Nathan Chancellor
> > <natechancellor@gmail.com> wrote:

> > GCC just doesn't warn when the case expression is greater than the
> > maximal representable value and thus would wrap (or appears to, this
> > is probably undefined behavior). Using an unsigned int here is no
> > functional change:
> > https://godbolt.org/z/1IyYV4
> >
> > GCC and Clang do effectively the same thing as each other, and in the
> > cases of switching on an unsigned int vs signed int.
> >

> Regardless of how the overflow is handled within the switch statement,
> the overflow is also happening when passing in these values to the ioctl,
> right? I mean these case values are defined in the uapi files so that
> userspace can easily pass them in to the ioctl, meaning those values are
> being passed in as a signed integer and I would assume subsequently
> overflowing unless I'm just missing something here.

The kernel compiles its code with -fno-strict-overflow, which sets
-fwrapv, which makes signed integer overflow defined to wrap (the
default by the C standard is that signed integer overflow is undefined
behavior). So while the kernel might be safe from undefined behavior,
the wrapped value being provided to userspace might be a problem. If
userspace tries to use these definitions, I suspect they will likely
trigger the overflow at runtime.

--
Thanks,
~Nick Desaulniers

  Last update: 2018-10-08 20:13    [W:0.086 / U:0.688 seconds]