SubjectRe: [patch 00/11] x86/vdso: Cleanups, simmplifications and CLOCK_TAI support
On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 09:54:45AM +0200, Vitaly Kuznetsov wrote:
> Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 11:22:58AM +0200, Vitaly Kuznetsov wrote:
> >>
> >> There is a very long history of different (hardware) issues Marcelo was
> >> fighting with and the current code is the survived Frankenstein.
> >
> > Right, the code has to handle different TSC modes.
> >
> >> E.g. it
> >> is very, very unclear what "catchup", "always catchup" and
> >> masterclock-less mode in general are and if we still need them.
> >
> > Catchup means handling exposed (to guest) TSC frequency smaller than
> > HW TSC frequency.
> >
> > That is "frankenstein" code, could be removed.
> >
> >> That said I'm all for simplification. I'm not sure if we still need to
> >> care about buggy hardware though.
> >
> > What simplification is that again?
> >

> I was hoping to hear this from you :-) If I am to suggest how we can
> move forward I'd propose:
> - Check if pure TSC can be used on SkyLake+ systems (where TSC scaling
> is supported).

In that case just use TSC clocksource on the guest directly: i am
writing code for that now (its faster than pvclock syscall).

> - Check if non-masterclock mode is still needed. E.g. HyperV's TSC page
> clocksource is a single page for the whole VM, not a per-cpu thing. Can
> we think that all the buggy hardware is already gone?

As Peter mentioned, non sync TSC hardware might exist in the future.
And older hardware must be supported.

  Last update: 2018-10-05 23:19    [W:0.336 / U:0.064 seconds]