SubjectRe: 4.14 backport request for dbdda842fe96f: "printk: Add console owner and waiter logic to load balance console writes"
On Wed 2018-10-03 13:37:04, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 10:16:08 -0700
> Daniel Wang <wonderfly@google.com> wrote:

> > > As I said, I am fine with backporting the console_lock owner stuff
> > > into the stable release.
> > >
> > > I just wonder (like Sergey) what the real problem is. The console_lock
> > > owner handshake is not fully reliable. It is might be good enough
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by 'not fully reliable'

I mean that it is not guaranteed that the very first printk() takes over
the console. It will happen only when the other printk() calls
console_trylock_spinning() while the current console owner does
the code between:

console_lock_spinning_enable();
console_lock_spinning_disable_and_check();

> > > Just to be sure. Daniel, could you please send a log with
> > > the console_lock owner stuff backported? There we would see
> > > who called the panic() and why it rebooted early.
> >
> > Sure. Here is one. It's a bit long but complete. I attached another log
> > snippet below it which is what I got when `softlockup_panic` was turned
> > off. The log was from the IRQ task that was flushing the printk buffer. I
> > will be taking a closer look at it too but in case you'll find it helpful.
>
> Just so I understand correctly. Does the panic hit with and without the
> suggested backport patch? The only difference is that you get the full
> output with the patch and limited output without it?

Sigh, the other mail suggest that there was a real deadlock. It means
that the console owner logic might help but it would not prevent
the deadlock completely.

Best Regards,
Petr

  Last update: 2018-10-04 09:50    [W:0.570 / U:0.052 seconds]