SubjectRe: [RFC 00/15] PCI: turn some __weak functions into callbacks
On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 12:26:30PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> Hi Bjorn and others,
>
> Triggered by Christoph's patches, I had another go at converting
> all of the remaining pci host bridge implementations to be based
> on pci_alloc_host_bridge and a separate registration function.
>
> This is made possible through work from Lorenzo and others to
> convert many of the existing drivers, as well as the removal
> of some of the older architectures that nobody used.
>
> I'm adding a bit of duplication into the less maintained code
> here, but it makes everything more consistent, and gives an
> easy place to hook up callback functions etc.
>
> The three parts of this series are:
>
> a) push up the registration into the callers (this is where
> code gets added)
> b) clean up some of the more common host bridge
> implementations again to integrate that code better.
> This could be done for the rest as well, or we could just
> leave them alone.
> c) start moving the __weak functions into callbacks in
> pci_host_bridge. This is intentionally incomplete, since
> it is a lot of work to do it for all those functions,
> and I want to get consensus on the approach first, as well
> as maybe get other developers to help out with the rest.
>
> Please have a look.
>
> Arnd
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/4288331.jNpl6KXlNO@wuerfel/
> [2] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10555657/
>
> Arnd Bergmann (15):
> PCI: clean up legacy host bridge scan functions
> PCI: move pci_scan_bus into callers
> PCI: move pci_scan_root_bus into callers
> PCI: export pci_register_host_bridge
> PCI: move pci_create_root_bus into callers
> powerpc/pci: fold pci_create_root_bus into pcibios_scan_phb
> PCI/ACPI: clean up acpi_pci_root_create()
> x86: PCI: clean up pcibios_scan_root()
> PCI: xenfront: clean up pcifront_scan_root()
> sparc/PCI: simplify pci_scan_one_pbm
> PCI: hyperv: convert to pci_scan_root_bus_bridge
> PCI: make pcibios_bus_add_device() a callback function
> PCI: turn pcibios_alloc_irq into a callback
> PCI: make pcibios_root_bridge_prepare a callback
> PCI: make pcibios_add_bus/remove_bus callbacks
>
> arch/arm64/kernel/pci.c | 40 ++-----
> arch/ia64/pci/pci.c | 25 +----
> arch/ia64/sn/kernel/io_init.c | 27 +++++
> arch/microblaze/pci/pci-common.c | 27 +++++
> arch/powerpc/include/asm/pci-bridge.h | 3 +
> arch/powerpc/kernel/pci-common.c | 60 +++++------
> arch/s390/pci/pci.c | 30 +++++-
> arch/sh/drivers/pci/pci.c | 1 +
> arch/sh/drivers/pci/pcie-sh7786.c | 3 +-
> arch/sh/include/asm/pci.h | 2 +
> arch/sparc/kernel/pci.c | 40 ++++---
> arch/sparc/kernel/pcic.c | 35 ++++++
> arch/x86/pci/acpi.c | 15 +--
> arch/x86/pci/common.c | 42 ++++----
> arch/xtensa/kernel/pci.c | 27 +++++
> drivers/acpi/pci_root.c | 43 +++++---
> drivers/parisc/dino.c | 28 +++++
> drivers/parisc/lba_pci.c | 28 +++++
> drivers/pci/bus.c | 8 +-
> drivers/pci/controller/pci-hyperv.c | 47 ++++----
> drivers/pci/controller/vmd.c | 30 +++++-
> [...]

Sorry for the late response to this.

I think I'm generally on-board with this. I admit I'm a little
hesitant about adding 200 lines of code when this is really more
"cleanup" than new functionality, but I think a lot of that is because
this series contains costs (e.g., duplicating code) for everybody but
only has the corresponding benefits for a few (ACPI, x86, xenfront).
Those cases are much closer to parity in terms of lines added/removed.

I saw some minor comments that suggested you had some updates, so I'll
watch for an updated posting.

Bjorn

  Last update: 2018-10-02 22:59    [W:0.130 / U:0.260 seconds]