SubjectRe: 4.15-rc6+ hang

* Christian Kujau <lists@nerdbynature.de> wrote:

> > > I think this is a vbox issue, with virtualbox not exposing all the
> > > xsave state, so that when the kernel adds up the xsave areas, the end
> > > result doesn't match what the total size is reported to be.
> >
> > It seems probable that this is a VirtualBox issue.  I was
> > able to boot my exact 4.15-rc6+ kernel in qemu-kvm v1.5.3
> > just fine.
>
> This was discussed on vbox-dev back in May 2017 (see the whole thread for
> more details):
>
> https://www.virtualbox.org/pipermail/vbox-dev/2017-May/014466.html
>
> Does that help?

So, unless I've managed to confuse myself navigating that horrible email archive
web interface, the conclusion of that discussion appears to be a workaround: by
adding 'nofxsave' to the guest kernel boot line the warning+boot-hang goes away?

It would be nice to root cause this bug and offer a more permanent solution. We
can even apply VirtualBox quirks to the upstream kernel, within reason - i.e. as
long as it does not get overly ugly and does not impact other uses.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2018-01-14 23:18    [W:0.041 / U:0.388 seconds]