SubjectRe: [tip:x86/pti] x86/cpu/AMD: Use LFENCE_RDTSC instead of MFENCE_RDTSC
* Andrew Cooper (andrew.cooper3@citrix.com) wrote:
> On 08/01/18 14:47, Tom Lendacky wrote:

> > Correct, the retpoline will work, it just takes more cycles.
> >
> >> That still does not help vs. rdtsc_ordered() and LFENCE_RDTSC ...
> > Ok, I can add the read-back check before setting the feature flag(s).
> >
> > But... what about the case where the guest is a different family than
> > hypervisor? If we're on, say, a Fam15h hypervisor but the guest is started
> > as a Fam0fh guest where the MSR doesn't exist and LFENCE is supposed to be
> > serialized? I'll have to do a rdmsr_safe() and only set the flag(s) if I
> > can successfully read the MSR back and validate the bit.
>
> If your hypervisor is lying to you about the primary family, then all
> bets are off.  I don't expect there will be any production systems doing
> this.

It's not that an unusual thing to do on qemu/kvm - to specify the lowest
common denominator of the set of CPUs in your data centre (for any one
vendor); it does tend to get some weird combinations.

Dave

> The user can get to keep both pieces if they've decided that this was a
> good thing to try.
>
> ~Andrew

  Last update: 2018-01-14 23:17    [W:0.152 / U:0.068 seconds]