SubjectRe: Bricked x86 CPU with software?
> Hi!
>
> > > Is the sequence available from ring 3, or does it need ring 0?
> > >
> > > Can we get the code? Extraordinary claims and all that...
> > >

> > I did not test privilege level. Are you suggesting that I put the code out there for everyone to
> > see or what?
>
> Yes, that's what I'm suggesting.

That would be neither prudent nor practical.

Perhaps you did not consider the consequences. What if it is compatible with your
processor? Would you send me a handwritten thank you card if that processor stops
processing? Would you be a happy replacement-sale customer of Intel? I think you did not
put much thought into why we are talking about it a year later or at all.

Unlike the now-oh-so-scary feature that was in existence for decades, that is only so scary
because of a "clever" idea to "cloud" host different customers on bare metal, without any
consideration to their security, this could affect real people not just oh-so-clever computer
farmers.

  Last update: 2018-01-14 23:17    [W:0.066 / U:0.108 seconds]