SubjectRe: [RFC] memdup_user() and friends
On Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 02:16:56AM +0000, Al Viro wrote:

> Everything else is definitely fine with GFP_USER - it's stuff like "copy of ioctl
> arguments in an ioctl never issued by the kernel code, must have come straight from
> ioctl(2)" and things like that. IMO we should simply switch memdup_user() to
> GFP_USER and be done with that. Limiting the size ought to be done by callers and
> IMO there's no point in __GFP_NOWARN there.

I don't really follow the __GFP_NOWARN part here. You mean that there
is no point on using __GFP_NOWARN there?

I would think pretty much otherwise. There is no point in logging the
trace as it is always a totally recoverable fault.

> What I propose is
> * switch memdup_user() to GFP_USER
> * add vmemdup_user(), using kvmalloc() instead of kmalloc() (also with
> GFP_USER)
> * switch open-coded instances of the latter to calling it
> * switch some of the memdup_user() callers to vmemdup_user() - the ones that
> don't need physically contiguous copy and might be larger than a couple of pages.
> * add apriori bounds on size in the call sites that do not have those yet -
> that'll require comments from maintainers of the code in question in some cases.
>
> Objections?

None. Good timing, btw. I also got reports about such open size
allocations and I'm finishing a patchset for SCTP to limit those.
Will migrate sctp code to vmemdup_user() when available.

Thanks,
Marcelo

  Last update: 2018-01-14 23:17    [W:0.326 / U:0.196 seconds]