SubjectRe: LKML admins (syzbot emails are not delivered)
On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:50 AM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 12:04:34PM +0100, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
>>
>> The problem is that it's not _me_, it's a computer program which uses
>> some mail delivery system which I don't have full visibility into. I
>> don't know if it even gets bounce emails (as far as I understand it's
>> not LKML that generates them, LKML SMTP server just returns some error
>> code and then it's a responsibility of somebody else to represent it
>> by a reply email). If the only way to probe the behavior is to send
>> actual emails to LKML (which have high chances to be actually
>> delivered to all subscribers), it makes testing somewhat problematic.
>
> It looks like you're using the App Engine Mail API. You can configure
> it to get bounce e-mails[1]. From what I can tell looking at the mail
> headers, the mail gets sent via an intermediate SMTP host, such as
> mail-it0-f69.google.com before it is delievered to vger. So if vger's
> mailer bounces it via an SMTP error, it would be
> mail-it0-f69.google.com's responsibility to generate a bounce message,
> which you then should be able to catch.
>
> [1] https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/go/mail/bounce
>
> You should be able to test this by having your app-engine send a
> message to "invalid-address@vger.kernel.org". I've verified that this
> will cause an immediate SMTP error:
>
> 554 5.0.0 Hi [74.207.234.97], unresolvable address: <invalid-address@vger.kernel.org>; nosuchuser; invalid-address@vger.kernel.org
>
> If it doesn't, you should file an internal bug report since that's
> clearly a bug in the App Engine's mail infrastructure. If you can't
> get satisfaction that way, my recommendation would be to set up an
> Linode server (you can't use GCE because GCE blocks outgoing SMTP
> connections) to be your mail gateway, and send the notifications from
> a domain such as syzkaller.org, where you have full control of your
> mail infrastructure, and you don't have to deal with nonsense such as
> DMARC.

Thanks, Ted! This is helpful. I've added handler for bounce emails:
https://github.com/google/syzkaller/commit/19c05fffcb1860b2dcf17989b40ca16ed259fdea
And I do see them after sending to invalid-address@vger.kernel.org. So
now hopefully it will sched some light when we get another bounce.

  Last update: 2018-01-14 23:17    [W:0.174 / U:0.188 seconds]