    SubjectRe: [RFC,05/10] x86/speculation: Add basic IBRS support infrastructure
    > If you are ever going to migrate to Skylake, I think you should just
    > always tell the guests that you're running on Skylake. That way the
    > guests will always assume the worst case situation wrt Specte.

    Unfortunately if you do that then guest may also decide to use other
    Skylake hardware features and pop its clogs when it finds out its actually
    running on Westmere or SandyBridge.

    So you need to be able to both lie to the OS and user space via cpuid and
    also have a second 'but do skylake protections' that only mitigation
    aware software knows about.

    Alan

      Last update: 2018-01-30 21:48    [W:4.071 / U:0.012 seconds]