SubjectRe: leaking_addresses script..
On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 08:11:24AM +1100, Tobin C. Harding wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 02:45:59PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Tobin C. Harding <me@tobin.cc> wrote:
>> >
>> > I did not sign the tag, it looks like you have not processed this yet.
>> > Do you want me to re-do the pull request on a signed tag?
>>
>> When pulling from github? Absolutely.
>
>Linus I'm not in the web of trust, pulling a tag signed by an _unknown_
>key is not secure is it? Would it not be better to get into the web of
>trust first before requesting you pull any code from me.

Many kernel developers use "Trust on First Use" (TOFU) approach, which
is not unreasonable -- it's what ssh has been using for the past couple
of decades. In the end, the goal of tag signing is not to verify your
*identity* but to verify that Tobin C. Harding from today is the same
Tobin C. Harding whose code was reviewed and merged 3 months ago.

>Also, once I get in the web of trust I can apply to get my tree hosted
>on git.kernel.org so you don't have to pull from GitHub.

We have different rules for issuing actual accounts at kernel.org. We
*do* rely on the web of trust, since I personally have no way of
verifying who is a real developer and who isn't. Even then, I don't
really care about your identity as much as I need to have assurances
from other members of kernel.org that they have worked with you
previously and they can vouch that you are their fellow kernel
developer.

-K

  Last update: 2017-11-15 22:33    [W:1.977 / U:0.020 seconds]