SubjectRe: ILP32 for ARM64 - testing with lmbench
Hi, all

I test specint of aarch64 LP64 when aarch32 el0 disable/enabled respectively
and compare with ILP32 unmerged kernel(4.8-rc6) in our arm64 board. I found
that difference(ILP32 disabled/ILP32 unmerged) is bigger when aarch32 el0 is
enabled, compare with aarch32 el0 disabled kernel. And bzip2, mcg, hmmer,
libquantum are the top four differences[1]. Note that bigger is better in
specint test.

In order to make sure the above results, I retest these four testcases in
reportable way(reference the command in the end). The result[2] show that
libquantum decrease -2.09% after ILP32 enabled and aarch32 on. I think it is in
significant.

The result of lmbench is not stable in my board. I plan to dig it later.

[1] The following test result is tested through --size=ref --iterations=3.
1.1 Test when aarch32_el0 is enabled.
ILP32 disabled base line
400.perlbench 100.00% 100%
401.bzip2 99.35% 100%
403.gcc 100.26% 100%
429.mcf 102.75% 100%
445.gobmk 100.00% 100%
456.hmmer 95.66% 100%
458.sjeng 100.00% 100%
462.libquantum 100.00% 100%
471.omnetpp 100.59% 100%
473.astar 99.66% 100%
483.xalancbmk 99.10% 100%

1.2 Test when aarch32_el0 is disabled
ILP32 disabled base line
400.perlbench 100.22% 100%
401.bzip2 100.95% 100%
403.gcc 100.20% 100%
429.mcf 100.76% 100%
445.gobmk 100.36% 100%
456.hmmer 97.94% 100%
458.sjeng 99.73% 100%
462.libquantum 98.72% 100%
471.omnetpp 100.86% 100%
473.astar 99.15% 100%
483.xalancbmk 100.08% 100%

[2] The following test result is tested through: runspec --config=my.cfg --size=test,train,ref --noreportable --tune=base,peak --iterations=3 bzip2 mcf hmmer libquantum
2.1 Test when aarch32_el0 is enabled.
ILP32_enabled base line
401.bzip2 100.82% 100%
429.mcf 100.18% 100%
456.hmmer 99.64% 100%
462.libquantum 97.91% 100%

Regards

Bamvor

On 2016/10/28 20:46, Yury Norov wrote:
> [Add Steve Ellcey, thanks for testing on ThunderX]
>
> Lmbench-3.0-a9 testing is performed on ThunderX machine to check that
> ILP32 series does not add performance regressions for LP64. Test
> summary is in the table below. Our measurements doesn't show
> significant performance regression of LP64 if ILP32 code is merged,
> both enabled or disabled.
>
> ILP32 enabled ILP32 disabled Standard Kernel
> null syscall 0.1066 0.1121 0.1121
> 95.09% 100.00%
>
> stat 1.3947 1.3814 1.3864
> 100.60% 99.64%
>
> fstat 0.4459 0.4344 0.4524
> 98.56% 96.02%
>
> open/close 4.0606 4.0411 4.0453
> 100.38% 99.90%
>
> read 0.4819 0.5014 0.5014
> 96.11% 100.00%
>
> Tested with linux 4.8 because 4.9-rc1 is not fixed yet for ThunderX.
> Other system details below.
>
> Yury.
>
> ubuntu@crb6:~$ uname -a
> Linux crb6 4.8.0+ #3 SMP Thu Oct 27 11:01:32 PDT 2016 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
>
> ubuntu@crb6:~$ cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal: 132011948 kB
> MemFree: 131442672 kB
> MemAvailable: 130695764 kB
> Buffers: 15696 kB
> Cached: 88088 kB
> SwapCached: 0 kB
> Active: 82760 kB
> Inactive: 41336 kB
> Active(anon): 20880 kB
> Inactive(anon): 8576 kB
> Active(file): 61880 kB
> Inactive(file): 32760 kB
> Unevictable: 0 kB
> Mlocked: 0 kB
> SwapTotal: 128920572 kB
> SwapFree: 128920572 kB
> Dirty: 0 kB
> Writeback: 0 kB
> AnonPages: 20544 kB
> Mapped: 19780 kB
> Shmem: 9060 kB
> Slab: 78804 kB
> SReclaimable: 27372 kB
> SUnreclaim: 51432 kB
> KernelStack: 8336 kB
> PageTables: 820 kB
> NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
> Bounce: 0 kB
> WritebackTmp: 0 kB
> CommitLimit: 194926544 kB
> Committed_AS: 256324 kB
> VmallocTotal: 135290290112 kB
> VmallocUsed: 0 kB
> VmallocChunk: 0 kB
> AnonHugePages: 0 kB
> ShmemHugePages: 0 kB
> ShmemPmdMapped: 0 kB
> CmaTotal: 0 kB
> CmaFree: 0 kB
> HugePages_Total: 0
> HugePages_Free: 0
> HugePages_Rsvd: 0
> HugePages_Surp: 0
> Hugepagesize: 2048 kB
>
> ubuntu@crb6:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor : 0
> BogoMIPS : 200.00
> Features : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32 atomics
> CPU implementer : 0x43
> CPU architecture: 8
> [...]

  Last update: 2016-11-17 04:44    [W:0.347 / U:2.280 seconds]