SubjectRe: can't oom-kill zap the victim's memory?
On 09/20/15 11:05, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 5:56 AM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@redhat.com> wrote:
>> In this case the workqueue thread will block.
> What workqueue thread?
>
> pagefault_out_of_memory ->
> out_of_memory ->
> oom_kill_process
>
> as far as I can tell, this can be called by any task. Now, that
> pagefault case should only happen when the page fault comes from user
> space, but we also have
>
> __alloc_pages_slowpath ->
> __alloc_pages_may_oom ->
> out_of_memory ->
> oom_kill_process
>
> which can be called from just about any context (but atomic
> allocations will never get here, so it can schedule etc).

I think in this case the oom killer should just slap a SIGKILL on the
task and then back out, and whatever needed the memory should just wait
patiently for the sacrificial lamb to commit seppuku.

Which, btw, we should IMO encourage ASAP in the context of the lamb by
having anything potentially locky or semaphory pay attention to if the
task in question has a fatal signal pending, and if so, drop everything
and run like hell so that the task can cough up any locks or semaphores.