SubjectRe: Failover root devices
On 2015-09-17 14:40, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Am 17.09.2015 um 20:37 schrieb Austin S Hemmelgarn:

>>> I really don't see why we need this feature in-kernel as it can be
>>> done perfectly fine
>>> in userspace. Every non-trivial system needs an initramfs anyway these days.
>>>
>> Ha, not unless you're using systemd. I have more than 2 dozen servers with complex setups that boot just fine without an initramfs. Yes there is more setup done in initramfs
>> these days, but it's still not actually needed in most cases except complicated storage setups.
>
> I really don't count root=UUID... or root=LABEL... as complicated storage setup...
>
> Thanks,
> //richard

That's not what I mean, I mean stuff like /usr and /var on separate
filesystems, in a couple of cases self-assembling MD arrays, and in a
couple of cases ATAoE or iSCSI backed root filesystems on hardware that
doesn't natively support booting such devices.

[unhandled content-type:application/pkcs7-signature]

  Last update: 2015-09-18 17:01    [W:0.050 / U:0.960 seconds]