SubjectRe: Linux Firmware Signing
Roberts, William C wrote:
> [...]

I'm not sure who "we" is as you are the only person I've heard
advocating for removing that support.

>> The fact that there are so many userspace specific parts of the policy that never
>> make it into the kernel precludes any meaningful verification anyway.
>
> Yes and no. On Android, if I was able to load a policy I could grant myself capabilities that
> We're not possible via the userspace portions, i.e. relabeling, etc. Granted, not checking the
> userspace portions Is not great. In an ideal world, everything is checked. However, the main
> reason to doing it in the kernel is where you want your trust to be. For instance, If I trust that
> userspace Loader, then I need to trust that + the kernel. In the case of verifying the policy signature
> In the kernel, I need to trust only the kernel.

Especially on Android, userspace files are very important. Changing
seapp_contexts or property_contexts can easily get you a privilege
escalation to let you do whatever. Checking only the kernel binary is a
half-solution and should not even be considered.