    SubjectLinux 4.2-rc1
    From
    It's Sunday, two weeks have passed, and the merge window is closed. I
    just pushed out the tag to the git trees, and tar-balls and patches
    should be mirroring out too.

    I thought this release would be one of the biggest ones ever, but it
    turns out that it will depend on how you count. Just counting pure
    commits, it is indeed one of the bigger rc1's in recent history, but
    3.10-rc1 was almost as big, and then the final 3.10 grew from that
    more than most. I doubt we'll match the 3.10 release, since we have
    been getting progressively better at *not* merging tons of stuff after
    -rc1.

    And it turns out v3.15-rc1 had more commits than 4.2-rc1 does (by a
    hair), so even there this isn't the biggest rc1 ever, if you count the
    number of commits.

    But it's certainly up there with the best of them. It's much too big
    to post the shortlog, so as usual for rc1, appended is just my
    "mergelog", with the people who are credited being the people I merge
    from, which is usually not necessarily at all the same thing as the
    people who actually authored the code. You'll need to go look at the
    details in the git tree for that.

    However, if you count the size in pure number of lines changed, this
    really seems to be the biggest rc we've ever had, with over a million
    lines added (and about a quarter million removed). That beats the
    previous champion (3.11-rc1) that was huge mainly due to Lustre being
    added to the staging tree.

    The reason for that huge number of lines is largely a single source:
    the bulk of this by far is from the new amd gpu register description
    headers. In fact, just those register descriptor headers alone are
    about 41% of the entire patch. The rest of the new amdgpu driver
    itself is another 8% of the total, so we're in the somewhat odd
    situation where a single driver is about half of the whole rc1 in
    number of lines.

    Aside from that unusual anomaly, the rest looks fairly normal - mainly
    drivers and architecture updates. The Renesas H8/300 architecture came
    back in a newly cleaned-up form, so we have some new(ish) architecture
    support, but that's tiny and the bulk is ARM (with x86 a distant
    second). Interestingly, there was quite a bit of low-level x86
    changes: both source code re-organization for x86 entry code and lots
    of FPU handling cleanups. That's fairly unusual, with low-level x86
    code being fairly stable and seldom seeing those kinds of big changes.

    Outside of the "drivers and architectures", there's a fair amount of
    filesystem stuff, including some fundamental changes and cleanups to
    symlink handling by Al. And all the usual updates to various
    filesystems, networking, crypto, tools, testing, you name it.

    Linus

    ---

    Al Viro (2):
    vfs updates
    more vfs updates

    Alex Deucher (1):
    radeon and amdgpu fixes

    Alex Williamson (1):
    VFIO updates

    Alexandre Belloni (1):
    RTC updates

    Andrew Morton (3):
    first patchbomb
    second patchbomb
    third patchbomb

    Bjorn Helgaas (1):
    PCI updates

    Bob Peterson (1):
    GFS2 updates

    Borislav Petkov (2):
    EDAC updates
    EDAC fix

    Brian Norris (1):
    MTD updates

    Bruce Fields (1):
    nfsd updates

    Bryan Wu (1):
    LED subsystem updates

    Catalin Marinas (2):
    arm64 updates
    arm64 fixes (and cleanups)

    Chris Mason (1):
    btrfs updates

    Chris Metcalf (1):
    arch/tile updates

    Dan Williams (1):
    libnvdimm subsystem

    Daniel Vetter (1):
    drm EDID fix

    Darren Hart (2):
    x86 platform driver updates
    late x86 platform driver updates

    Dave Airlie (1):
    drm updates

    David Miller (3):
    networking updates
    sparc fixes
    networking fixes

    David Vrabel (1):
    xen updates

    Dmitry Torokhov (2):
    input subsystem updates
    second round of input updates

    Dominik Brodowski (1):
    PCMCIA update

    Doug Ledford (1):
    rdma updates

    Eric Biederman (1):
    user namespace updates

    Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
    m68k update

    Grant Likely (1):
    devicetree updates

    Greg KH (5):
    char/misc driver updates
    driver core updates
    staging driver updates
    tty/serial driver updates
    USB updates

    Greg Ungerer (1):
    m68knommu updates

    Guenter Roeck (2):
    hwmon updates
    hwmon fixes

    Herbert Xu (3):
    crypto update
    crypto fixes
    crypto fixes

    Ingo Molnar (17):
    RCU updates
    locking updates
    perf updates
    perf fixes
    scheduler updates
    x86 cleanups
    x86 CPU features
    x86 debugging documentation updates
    x86 EFI updates
    x86 FPU updates
    x86 kdump updates
    x86 warning fixlet
    x86 core updates
    max log buf size increase
    perf updates
    scheduler fixes
    x86 fixes

    Jaegeuk Kim (1):
    f2fs updates

    James Bottomley (1):
    SCSI updates

    James Morris (1):
    security subsystem updates

    Jan Kara (1):
    UDF fixes and cleanups

    Jani Nikula (1):
    intel drm fixes

    Jassi Brar (1):
    mailbox updates

    Jean Delvare (2):
    DMI updates
    more hwmon updates

    Jens Axboe (6):
    core block IO update
    block driver updates
    asm/scatterlist.h removal
    cgroup writeback support
    more block layer patches
    block fixes

    Jiri Kosina (3):
    HID updates
    livepatching fixes
    trivial tree updates

    Joerg Roedel (1):
    IOMMU updates

    Jon Mason (1):
    NTB updates

    Jonathan Corbet (1):
    documentation updates

    Kevin Hilman (6):
    ARM SoC cleanups
    ARM SoC platform support updates
    ARM SoC DT updates
    ARM SoC driver updates
    ARM SoC defconfig updates
    ARM SoC late fixes and dependencies

    Lee Jones (2):
    MFD updates
    backlight updates

    Ley Foon Tan (1):
    nios2 update

    Linus Walleij (2):
    gpio updates
    pin control updates

    Mark Brown (3):
    regmap updates
    spi updates
    regulator updates

    Martin Schwidefsky (2):
    s390 updates
    more s390 updates

    Mauro Carvalho Chehab (2):
    media updates
    edac updates

    Michael Ellerman (1):
    powerpc updates

    Michael Tsirkin (1):
    virtio/vhost cross endian support

    Michael Turquette (1):
    clock framework updates

    Michal Marek (2):
    kconfig updates
    kbuild updates

    Michal Simek (1):
    Microblaze updates

    Mike Snitzer (2):
    device mapper updates
    device mapper fixes

    Miklos Szeredi (2):
    fuse updates
    overlayfs updates

    Neil Brown (1):
    md updates

    Nicholas Bellinger (1):
    SCSI target updates

    Ohad Ben-Cohen (2):
    hwspinlock updates
    remoteproc updates

    Paolo Bonzini (2):
    first batch of KVM updates
    kvm fixes

    Paul Gortmaker (6):
    __cpuinit removal
    implicit module.h fixes
    module_init replacement part one
    module_init replacement part two
    module_platform_driver replacement
    init.h/module.h fragility fixes

    Paul Moore (1):
    audit updates

    Rafael Wysocki (3):
    power management and ACPI updates
    power management and ACPI fixes
    ACPICA updates

    Ralf Baechle (1):
    MIPS updates

    Richard Weinberger (2):
    UBI/UBIFS updates
    UML updates

    Russell King (2):
    clkdev updates
    ARM updates

    Rusty Russell (1):
    module updates

    Sage Weil (1):
    Ceph updates

    Sebastian Reichel (2):
    HSI updates
    power supply and reset updates

    Shuah Khan (1):
    kselftest update

    Steve French (1):
    CIFS/SMB3 updates

    Steven Rostedt (2):
    tracing fixes
    tracing updates

    Sumit Semwal (1):
    dma-buf updates

    Takashi Iwai (2):
    sound updates
    sound fixes

    Ted Ts'o (1):
    ext4 updates

    Tejun Heo (3):
    libata updates
    cgroup updates
    workqueue updates

    Thierry Reding (1):
    pwm updates

    Thomas Gleixner (8):
    timer updates
    NOHZ updates
    irq updates
    locking updates
    scheduler updates
    irq fixes
    timer fixes
    irq update

    Tomi Valkeinen (2):
    fbdev updates
    fbdev fix

    Tony Luck (4):
    ia64 paravirt removal
    pstore updates
    ia64 updates
    ia64 boot noise reduction fix

    Trond Myklebust (1):
    NFS client updates

    Ulf Hansson (1):
    MMC updates

    Vineet Gupta (1):
    ARC architecture updates

    Vinod Koul (1):
    dmaengine updates

    Wim Van Sebroeck (1):
    watchdog updates

    Wolfram Sang (1):
    i2c updates

    Yoshinori Sato (1):
    Renesas H8/300 architecture re-introduction

    Zhang Rui (1):
    thermal management updates

      Last update: 2015-07-05 22:41    [W:6.872 / U:0.108 seconds]