SubjectRE: [patch v3 3/3] mm, oom: do not panic for oom kills triggered from sysrq
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Hillf Danton wrote:

> > I'm not sure I understand your point.
> >
> > There are two oom killer panics: when panic_on_oom is enabled and when the
> > oom killer can't find an eligible process.
> >
> > The change to the panic_on_oom panic is dealt with in check_panic_on_oom()
> > and the no eligible process panic is dealt with here.
> >
> > If the sysctl is disabled, and there are no eligible processes to kill,
> > the change in behavior here is that we don't panic when triggered from
> > sysrq. That's the change in the hunk above.
> >
> When no eligible processes is selected to kill, we are sure that we skip one
> panic in check_panic_on_oom(), and we have no clear reason to panic again.
>
> But we can simply answer the caller that there is no page, and let her
> decide what to do.
>
> So I prefer to fold the two panic into one.
>
> Hillf

I'm still not sure I understand your point, unfortunately. The new check:

if (!p && oc->order != -1) {
dump_header(oc, NULL, NULL);
panic("Out of memory and no killable processes...\n");
}

ensures we never panic when called from sysrq. This is done because
userspace can easily race when there is a single eligible process to kill
that exits or is otherwise killed and the sysrq+f ends up panicking the
machine unexpectedly.

  Last update: 2015-07-14 23:41    [W:0.071 / U:0.240 seconds]