    SubjectRe: Thunderbolt hotplug not working on MacMini7,1
    Hi Adam,

    On my system (MacBookPro10,1 - 4 channel TB1) the bridges and the
    controller both use 0x1547 and are only differentiated by
    subvendor/subdevice.

    0x156c is the 4 channel TB2 controller and was originally added by
    Matthew. Judging from his patch it looks like the subvendor/subdevice
    is set on his system:
    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/354626/

    But it also indicates that the bridges already use different ids. If
    that is the case then we can drop the subvendor/subdevice for 0x156c.
    Matthew can you confirm that on your system 0x156c is used only for
    the controller?

    Adam, could you check that suspend/resume works properly? Also your
    bugzilla report suggest that hotplug might now work without the
    driver. Could you try to revert the _OSI check (and disable the
    driver) and check whether everything "just works"?

    Andreas

    On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 4:56 AM, Adam Goode <adam@spicenitz.org> wrote:
    > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Adam Goode <adam@spicenitz.org> wrote:
    >> (resending in plain text)
    >> (please CC me on replies, I am not on LKML)
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a new Mac Mini (MacMini7,1). This model supports hotplugging of
    >> Thunderbolt on Windows 8 and above. Unfortunately hotplug does not
    >> seem to be working for me under Linux. I get the default behavior of
    >> devices only working if plugged in during boot.
    >>
    >> Also, the changes made to support Darwin for _OSI seems to make it
    >> impossible to override. This makes it hard to test if the ACPI support
    >> for Windows 2012 will just work on Linux. I have not built a kernel
    >> yet with Darwin _OSI patched out.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? I think there are 2 ways forward:
    >>
    >> 1. Fix the thunderbolt code to work with this new Mac.
    >> 2. Limit the Darwin _OSI response to a whitelisted set of Mac
    >> machines. It seems like new Macs going forward may work best with the
    >> standard Windows 2012 response. I don't know if this method would have
    >> advantages over #1. The obvious change might be chained hotplugging
    >> support. I don't have a chained device to test.
    >>

    > I have fixed the issue on my machine. On the Mac Mini, the 0x156c
    > device has no subvendor or subdevice. When I added the new id to
    > nhi_ids, everything worked without changing anything else in the
    > kernel. This is in the _OSI("Darwin").
    >
    > Perhaps the driver is overmatching on subvendor/subdevice. Is it
    > necessary to do so on some models?
    >
    > Can PCI_ANY_ID just be used for subvendor/subdevice?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Adam

      Last update: 2015-04-23 12:21    [W:2.580 / U:2.128 seconds]