SubjectRe: IO errors after "block: remove bio get nr vec s()"
On 2015-12-21 09:32, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Artem S. Tashkinov wrote:
>>
>> P.S. I know Linus doesn't condone PAE but I still find it more
>> preferrable
>> than running a mixed environment with almost zero benefit in regard to
>> performance and quite obvious performance regressions related to an
>> increased number of libraries being loaded (i686 + x86_64) and
>> slightly
>> bloated code which sometimes cannot fit in the CPU cache. Call me old
>> fashioned but I won't upgrade to x86_64 until most of the things that
>> I run
>> locally are available for x86_64 and that won't happen any time soon.
>
> Don't upgrade *user* land. User land doesn't use the braindamage that
> is PAE.
>
> Just run a 64-bit kernel. Keep all your 32-bit userland apps and
> libraries.
>
> Trust me, that *will* be faster. PAE works really horribly badly,
> because all your really important data structures like your inodes and
> directory cache will all be in the low 1GB even if you have 16BG of
> RAM.
>
> Of course, I'd also like more people to run things that way just to
> get more coverage of the whole "yes, we do all the compat stuff
> correctly". So I have some other reasons to prefer people running
> 64-bit kernels with 32-bit user land. But PAE really is a disaster.

In the past I happily ran an x86_64 bit kernel together with 32bit
userland for quite some time but then I hit a wall: VirtualBox expects
its kernel modules to have the same bitness as the application itself so
I had to revert back to an i686 PAE setup. It's probably high time to
try qemu however last time I looked at it a few years ago it lacked
several crucial features I need from a VM.

  Last update: 2015-12-21 06:01    [W:0.202 / U:0.308 seconds]