SubjectRe: LED: inform userspace about brightness change
On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> What is preferred way from kernel driver to inform userspace
> about LED device brightness change? In /sys/class/leds/<device>/
> is file brightness which can be used to read current brightness
> or set write new value. But sometimes also firmware (or device)
> can change value on its own and thus userspace software which
> provides slider for setting brightness will be incorrect.
>
> For example on Dell laptops there is driver which support setting
> and reading keyboard backlight (via leds kernel interface). But
> firmware/BIOS can change brightness (when something happen) and
> it can inform running system about this change via ACPI/WMI event
> interface. But how to use kernel led interface to inform userpace
> about this change? It is possible?

Sorry for the delay, actually I don't find any possible existing way
to send brightness change event from LED subsystem to user space.

I think we can add an udev event in set_brightness API, then when we
change the brightness, it will send out udev event to user space.

Thanks,
-Bryan

  Last update: 2015-01-06 19:01    [W:0.348 / U:0.172 seconds]