    SubjectRe: Bug on Kernel 3.16 r6: Sound and Buffering in Clementine with Files are Transferring to Music Directory
    From
    On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 4:37 AM, Heinz Diehl <htd@fancy-poultry.org> wrote:
    > On 27.07.2014, Nick Krause wrote:
    >
    >> When I transfer a lot of music for a brtfs external hard drive I have the music
    >> in clementine I am listening to is stopped for a few seconds and then continues.
    >
    > Most probably, this is not a bug, but caused by high disk I/O. It's
    > not clear to me if the music you are listening to is located on the
    > same disk which you transfer to/from. This would make things even
    > worse.
    >
    > However, there are a few thing you can do to try to minimize the observed
    > stalls:
    >
    > 1. Compile your kernel with CONFIG_PREEMPT enabled
    > 2. Reduce the amount of memory content sync'ed to disk
    > 3. If your disk is a SSD: change the elevator to "noop"
    > 4. Enable writeback on your disk
    > 5. Increase the disks readahead sectors
    > 6. Increase the audio buffers in your player
    >
    > 1. CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
    >
    > 2. Sysctl: vm.dirty_ratio = 10
    > vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    >
    > 3. echo "noop" > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
    >
    > 4. /sbin/hdparm -W1 /dev/sda
    >
    > 5. /sbin/blockdev --setra 8192 /dev/sda
    >
    > Regards,
    > Heinz.
    Heinz,
    The audio buffer is not going to work as this was never a issue with
    default Ubuntu kernels.
    However I will try your other ideas and report back :). I am
    transferring into the same directory
    for the music I am listening to. In addition , my cpu usage when doing
    this is half of my older
    Ubuntu distro kernel, 6 vs 3 percent for upstream.
    Cheers Nick

      Last update: 2014-07-27 23:01    [W:2.438 / U:0.160 seconds]