SubjectRe: [RFC] trace-cmd: add the ability to install libtracecmd
On 07/10/2014 06:53 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:22:45 -0400
> Josef Bacik <jbacik@fb.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to build some custom tracing tools on top of trace-cmd but they
>> aren't really usefull outside of Facebook so I don't want to shove them into the
>> actual trace-cmd project. Instead I'd like to be able to just build libtracecmd
>> and install that as well as the necessary header files and just link my tools
>> against that. I'm shit at userspace stuff like this, so I've just hacked
>> something together that works for me. I'm mostly hoping somebody will look at
>> the Makefile horribleness that I came up with and tell me how to do it right (or
>> better yet do it for me!) The second patch just cleans up some stuff to make
>> the shared library more library esque. Any feedback would be great. Thanks,
>>

> I'm shit at userspace too ;-) I just like simple makefiles and other
> non "autocrap" stuff.
>
> Anyway, I did plan on getting a libtracecmd out someday (at a bottom of
> a very long todo list), so I'm all game for this. I was hoping to get
> libtraceevent out first. That's now homed in the kernel tools
> directory and I've been porting stuff to and from trace-cmd for that as
> well. But there's still a bit of work on that front.
>
> I'll have to take a look at your patches and see how they are after I
> get some other things out of the way first.

Ok I didn't notice the libtracecmd, so I'll send the second patch
against that since it's just against the event parse stuff. In reality
all I need is the event parsing stuff, I just use the libtracecmd to
open the trace.dat file. I'll see if I can figure out how to just parse
the events live without having to record with trace-cmd first and that
will probably be good enough for me for now, then maybe when I care
about post-processing trace.dat you will have gotten to the bottom of
your TODO list. Thanks,

Josef

  Last update: 2014-07-11 21:01    [W:0.051 / U:0.128 seconds]