SubjectRe: remap_file_pages() use
On Tue, 20 May 2014, Kenny Simpson wrote:

> I might need a gentle nudge with a clue stick...
> checking against latest git tree it looks as though most common
> filesystem types do support remap_file_pages.
>
> I just wrote a simple test case and it worked on my 3.13-based ubuntu
> 14.04 system on an ext4 filesystem.

It is all very confusing, yes.

When Kirill said disk-backed files don't support remap_file_pages since
commit 3ee6dafc677a, he was meaning that that they do not support it
with a special nonlinear vma; but the remap_file_pages syscall emulates
the layout for them with separate linear vmas instead.

Confusingly, these filesystems opt in to this emulation by pointing
their remap_pages method to generic_file_remap_pages - code which is
then never used for them! tmpfs is the only filesystem (having no
page_mkwrite) which actually passes through that code.

You can understand why there's some enthusiasm for cleaning this up :)

Hugh

  Last update: 2014-05-21 07:21    [W:0.080 / U:0.044 seconds]