    SubjectRe: futex(2) man page update help request
    On 05/15/2014 08:42 AM, chrubis@suse.cz wrote:
    > Hi!
    >> People have a number of times noted that there are problems
    >> with syscall(), but I'm not knowledgeable on the details.
    >> I'd happily take a patch to the man page (which, for historical
    >> reasons, is actually syscall(2)) that explains the the problems
    >> (and ideally notes those platforms where there are no problems).
    >
    > Have a look at this commit that tries to deal with passing 64 bit
    > numbers to syscalls. On 32 bit ABI (but not on X32) these needs to be
    > split up (accordingly to machine endianity).
    >
    > https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/commit/04afb02b4280a20c262054e8f99a3fad4ad54916

    That is wrong, too. That assumes that there will never be padding
    words, which isn't true in the general case, either.

    I really believe the proper fix is to use assembly syscall stubs. In
    klibc I build a fairly elaborate machinery to autogenerate such syscall
    stubs for a variety of architectures.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2014-05-15 18:21    [W:3.102 / U:1.516 seconds]