SubjectRe: [Linaro-acpi] How to pass I2C platform_data under ACPI
On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 03:34:30PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> > > Thanks for the Quick reply.
> > >
> > > So If I want to use different platform_data for different boards can I
> > > do something like below?
> >
> > Exactly.
> >
> > > And initialize the platform data in either driver or in separate module
> > > which gets compiled along with driver?
> >
> > Typically it has been done in the same driver but I don't see any problems
> > having a separate module as well.
> >
> > > static const struct acpi_device_id my_acpi_match[] = {
> > > { "MYID0001", (kernel_ulong_t)&my_platform_data1 }
> > > { "MYID0002", (kernel_ulong_t)&my_platform_data2 }
> > > { },
>
> We definitely don't want per-board match entries, that does not scale.
> The driver should be reasonably generic and get all the necessary data
> out of well-defined tables. You can have different IDs when there
> are only a few cases that are actually relevant, but it has to be
> conceivable that the same driver get used on future hardware without
> changes.

Yes, I meant that when the platform data information is not available in
ACPI namespace, then (and only then) pass the data by means of different
IDs.

Preferably this information is included in the ACPI namespace.

  Last update: 2014-04-04 11:41    [W:0.127 / U:0.492 seconds]