SubjectRe: Promela/spin model for NO_HZ_FULL_SYSIDLE code
On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 02:57:55AM +0000, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> [...]

Well, this was the first time I had ever tried using LTL or never claims,
so you are ahead of me either way. ;-)

> 1) When, at any point in the trail, a worker is setup, then we want to
> be sure that at some point in the future the timer is necessarily
> running:
>
> timer_active.ltl:
> [] (am_setup_0 -> (<> timekeeper_is_running))

OK, am_setup_0 implies that the timekeeper will eventually be running.
For two threads, this presumably becomes:

[] ((am_setup_0 || am_setup_1) -> (<> timekeeper_is_running))

> 2) When, at any point in the trail, a worker is not setup, then we
> want to be sure that at some point in the future, either this
> thread is setup again, or the timekeeper reaches a not running
> state:
>
> timer_inactive.ltl:
> [] (!am_setup_0 -> (<> (!timekeeper_is_running || am_setup_0)))

And here the two-thread version should be something like this:

[] (!(am_setup_0 || am_setup_1) -> (<> (!timekeeper_is_running || am_setup_0 || am_setup_1)))

It would be nice if never claims allowed local variables, as that would
allow looping over the am_setup array. Or maybe I just haven't figured
out how to tell spin that a given variable should not be considered to
be part of the global state.

> sysidle.sh:
> #!/bin/sh
>
> spin -f "!(`cat timer_active.ltl`)" > pan.ltl
> #spin -f "!(`cat timer_inactive.ltl`)" > pan.ltl
> spin -a -X -N pan.ltl sysidle.spin
> #spin -DINJECT_MISSING_WAKEUP -a -X -N pan.ltl sysidle.spin

I definitely didn't use "-X". The "spin --help" says "-[XYZ] reserved
for use by xspin interface", so maybe it doesn't matter. ;-)

> gcc -o pan pan.c
> ./pan -f -a -m1280000 -w22
>
> #view trail with:
> # spin -v -t -N pan.ltl sysidle.spin

Interesting. I have put this into a separate branch. May I use your
Signed-off-by?

I need to play around a bit more with LTL and progress labels!

Thanx, Paul

> [...]
> fi;
>
> /* Mark ourselves fully awake and operational. */
> am_setup[me] = 1;
>
> /* We are fully awake, so timekeeper must not be asleep. */
> assert(full_sysidle_state < RCU_SYSIDLE_FULL);
>
> /* Running in kernel in the following loop. */
> do
> :: 1 -> skip;
> :: 1 -> break;
> od;
> od
> }
>
> /*
> * Are all the workers in dyntick-idle state?
> */
> #define check_idle() \
> i = 0; \
> idle = 1; \
> do \
> :: i < NUM_WORKERS -> \
> if \
> :: am_busy[i] == 1 -> idle = 0; \
> :: else -> skip; \
> fi; \
> i++; \
> :: i >= NUM_WORKERS -> break; \
> od
>
> /*
> * Timekeeping CPU.
> */
> proctype timekeeper()
> {
> byte i;
> byte idle;
> byte curstate;
> byte newstate;
>
> do
> :: 1 ->
> /* Capture current state. */
> check_idle();
> curstate = full_sysidle_state;
> newstate = curstate;
>
> /* Manage state... */
> if
> :: idle == 1 && curstate < RCU_SYSIDLE_FULL_NOTED ->
> /* Idle, advance to next state. */
> atomic {
> if
> :: full_sysidle_state == curstate ->
> newstate = curstate + 1;
> full_sysidle_state = newstate;
> :: else -> skip;
> fi;
> }
> :: idle == 0 && full_sysidle_state >= RCU_SYSIDLE_LONG ->
> /* Non-idle and state advanced, revert to base state. */
> full_sysidle_state = RCU_SYSIDLE_NOT;
> :: else -> skip;
> fi;
>
> /* If in RCU_SYSIDLE_FULL_NOTED, wait to be awakened. */
> if
> :: newstate != RCU_SYSIDLE_FULL_NOTED ->
> skip;
> :: newstate == RCU_SYSIDLE_FULL_NOTED ->
> timekeeper_is_running = 0;
> do
> :: wakeup_timekeeper == 0 ->
> skip; /* Awaiting wake up */
> :: else ->
> timekeeper_is_running = 1;
> wakeup_timekeeper = 0;
> break; /* awakened */
> od;
> fi;
> assert(full_sysidle_state <= RCU_SYSIDLE_FULL_NOTED);

  Last update: 2014-04-04 00:21    [W:0.088 / U:0.540 seconds]