SubjectRe: [RFC] QR encoding for Oops messages
From
Hi,

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Jason Cooper <jason@lakedaemon.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 12:17:17PM +0200, Levente Kurusa wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> (sorry for the late reply, looks like this mail has ran away from my clients)
>
> same here.

>>> I did the same with another OOPS and it had 1953 characters. That's quite a big
>>> a big difference! :-)
>>>
>>> I created a QR image from the URL then, and it was 147x147, which is
>>> pretty small.
>>> It took me quite a long time to make my phone recognize it, but it
>>> worked nicely.
>>>
>>> Result of work is in this directory:
>>>
>>> http://levex.fedorapeople.org/kernel/qr/
>>
>> nice!

>>> Ah I see now. oops.kernel.org/?qr=<QR> would simply parse the
>>> base64'd+gzip'd oops message and then report it.
>>
>> If you mean the server behind oops.k.o would parse it, then yes. No
>> special app should be required other than a QR code scanner for the
>> usecase of reporting oopses to developers.

Yup, clear now.

>>> Now I guess we need to think how to make it work without a
>>> framebuffer. I already suggested using the ASCII characters,
>>> but seeing the resolution of this QR code for example (147x147),
>>> made me realize that we can't shuffle that into a 80x25 textmode
>>> display. Any ideas how to fix that or should we just simply depend
>>> on a framebuffer being present?
>>
>> I think depending on the framebuffer being present (via kconfig) is
>> sane. Folks running old systems know what they're in for, like missing
>> shiny new features. ;-)
>
> Ok, this may work. I agree that doing this with the help of the frame
> buffer is more natural.

Okay, Teodora I'll send you a commit ASAP and then
we should start working on getting libqr into an acceptable
state. I am not sure if we can shuffle it into staging though,
it's not a driver and AFAIK staging.git is for drivers which aren't
yet finished. So, I would say, let's start working on fixing the
OOPness of libqr first. If we were to rework that, then
we can as well avoid having GFP_ATOMIC in library code
by using the more conventional kmalloc(struct); init_struct(ptr);
scheme.

Oh and I had an idea of adding a new kernel parameter, something
like 'qr_oops.*'. (Looking for a better name! :-) )
Basically, I thought of the following options so far:

* qr_oops.disable=1 - disable it
* qr_oops.scale=600x600 - scale the qr code so its easier to read
with a phone. In my testing I had huge difficulties reading the
QR codes, but when scaled to be a bit bigger it worked magically.
This might not be so easy to implement this way, but with preset
values, i.e. 4x4 squares instead of a pixel, it could work.

Objections, ideas are welcome!

Teodora, have you worked on anything recently in qr-linux-kernel?
Just to make sure we aren't working on the same.

Thanks,
Levente Kurusa