SubjectRe: [RFC] blk-mq: support for shared tags
On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 09:45:11AM -0700, Matias Bjorling wrote:
> > I'd still create a request_queue for the internal queue, just not register
> > a block device for it. For example SCSI sets up queues for each LUN
> > found, but only a subset actually is exposed as a block device.
> >

> Ok. That is good enough for now. A little heavy on the overhead side, if
> only the tag logic is needed.
>
> What about the following suggestions for shared tags:
>
> 1. Rename it from blk_mq_shared_tags to blk_mq_tag_group. A driver can
> have several tag groups that it maintains.

I was going to rename it to tag_set, but tag_group sounds fine to me as well.

> 2. Instead of blk_mq_shared_tags structure in blk_mq_reg. Have function
> pointer for getting the tags structure during hctx initialization. This
> is interesting for nvme, because it has as set of tags for each hardware
> queue it exposes.

The current code also has an array of blk_mq_tags structures, one for
each queue. Do you need a more complicated mapping than that?

Btw, I was also going to siply split out the tag allocation from the
queue registration unconditionally. While this adds a little more
boilerplate to simple drivers it avoids unconditional code pathes and should
make the model much easier to understand. I should have a new version
of the patches soon.

  Last update: 2014-04-03 20:21    [W:0.083 / U:0.024 seconds]