SubjectRe: File capabilities are not 'working' and I have no idea why
Quoting Aaron Jones (aaronmdjones@gmail.com):

> I have isolated the problem. File capabilities are not assigned when
> the program being executed is located on a filesystem mounted with
> the "nosuid" option.
>
> This seems counter-intuitive; a fully capability-based system would
> not use setuid binaries...

Not strictly true. setuid really just means 'change uid'. The fact
that it can also raise/lower capability sets just muddles the issue.
If you want that behavior stopped you can do so using
SECBIT_NO_SETUID_FIXUP.

> so a logical thing to do would be to
> prevent the setuid bits from doing anything, which is what the
> nosuid flag is for, no?
>
> Or am I missing something?
>
> Can we get a config flag to toggle this behaviour?

I think generally when people mount nosuid it is to prevent
an untrusted source (usb stick, whatever) from providing a
untrusted but privileged program. Be that through setuid-root
binaries or file capabilities.

-serge

  Last update: 2014-02-06 22:41    [W:0.062 / U:0.080 seconds]