SubjectRe: [GIT PULL 00/12] perf/core improvements and fixes
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 01:30:52PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Jiri Olsa <jolsa@redhat.com> wrote:

SNIP

> > > Pulled, thanks a lot Arnaldo!
> > >
> > > Btw., the build output looks weird now - on a system that used to pass
> > > all feature tests there's this output:
> > >
> > > BUILD: Doing 'make -j12' parallel build
> > > config/Makefile:288: No libdw DWARF unwind found, Please install
> > > elfutils-devel/libdw-dev >= 0.158 and/or set LIBDW_DIR
> > >
> > > Auto-detecting system features:
> > > ... dwarf: [ on ]
> > > ... glibc: [ on ]
> > > ... gtk2: [ on ]
> > > ... libaudit: [ on ]
> > > ... libbfd: [ on ]
> > > ... libelf: [ on ]
> > > ... libnuma: [ on ]
> > > ... libperl: [ on ]
> > > ... libpython: [ on ]
> > > ... libslang: [ on ]
> > > ... libunwind: [ on ]
> > > ... libdw-dwarf-unwind: [ OFF ]
> > > ... DWARF post unwind library: libunwind
> > >
> > > but:
> > >
> > > Package elfutils-devel-0.156-5.fc19.x86_64 already installed and latest version
> > >
> > > Also, the information content of this line is unclear to me:
> > >
> > > ... DWARF post unwind library: libunwind
> > >

> > > what does that line want to tell?
> >
> > this tells what DWARF unwind library is compiled
> > in.. 'libunwind' in this case
>
> So my (stylistic) complaint is that it's really reading weird in a
> table generated with the following purpose:
>
> Auto-detecting system features:
>
> Also, we already know that libunwind is present, because just in the
> line before it, it says:
>
> ... libunwind: [ on ]
>
> So it's doubly confusing. How about not displaying that line at all?
> Is there a strong reason to not keep 'OFF' messages on a single line?

well, on/OFF lines are only about detecting libs

this line:
'DWARF post unwind library: libunwind'

is about telling which one goes in.. could be you have both
libraries detected and need to choose one or keep default

> > the other choice is 'libdw', which was not detected in your case
> > (and thats what the 1st message tells you)
> >
> > we discussed with Arnaldo, that we would not display warnings for
> > missing features by default.. only tell that there are missing
> > features and display them for verbose (VF=1) output
>
> That's probably a good plan. I'd suggest the following 'short log' for
> failures:
>
> # Auto-detecting system features: 2 libraries are missing. Try 'make VF=1' for a verbose list.
>
> I.e. that way people can notice if the count goes up or down after an
> update. Also, that too should be a single line, so that it does not
> spam people.

ook

jirka

  Last update: 2014-02-27 14:21    [W:0.062 / U:0.304 seconds]