SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] ARM fixes
From
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> One fix touches code outside of arch/arm, which is related to sorting
> out the DMA masks correctly. There is a long standing issue with the
> conversion from PFNs to addresses where people assume that shifting an
> unsigned long left by PAGE_SHIFT results in a correct address.

You should probably have used PFN_PHYS(), which does this correctly.
Your explicit u64 isn't exactly wrong, but phys_addr_t is really the
right type for the result.

That said, it's admittedly a disgusting name, and I wonder if we
should introduce a nicer-named "pfn_to_phys()" that matches the other
"xyz_to_abc()" functions we have (including "pfn_to_virt()")

Looking at it, the Xen people then do this disgusting thing:
"__va(PFN_PHYS(pfn))" which is both ugly and pointless (__va() isn't
going to work for a phys_addr_t anyway). And <linux/mm.h> has this
gem:

__va(PFN_PHYS(page_to_pfn(page)));

Ugh. The ugly - it burns. that really should be
"pfn_to_virt(page_to_pfn())", I think. Adding a few mailing lists in
the hope that some sucker^Whumanitarian person would want to take a
look.

Anyway, I pulled your change to scsi_lib.c, since it's certainly no
worse than what we used to have, but James and company cc'd too.

Linus

  Last update: 2014-02-19 01:41    [W:0.058 / U:0.108 seconds]