    SubjectRe: [RFC] sched: Add a new lockless wake-from-idle implementation

    * Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:

    > This is a strawman proposal to simplify the idle implementation, eliminate
    > a race
    >
    > Benefits over current code:
    > - ttwu_queue_remote doesn't use an IPI unless needed

    Cool.

    > - The diffstat should speak for itself :)

    Neat!

    > - Less racy. Spurious IPIs are possible, but only in narrow windows or
    > when two wakeups occur in rapid succession.
    > - Seems to work (?)
    >
    > Issues:
    > - Am I doing the percpu stuff right?
    > - Needs work on non-x86 architectures

    Absolutely, and with the least amount of disruption possible, as
    people are not very good at testing 'all' of them.

    > - The !CONFIG_SMP case needs to be checked

    Which also happens to be the default for half of all non-x86 arches.

    > - Is "idlepoll" a good name for the new code? It doesn't have *that*
    > much to do with the idle state. Maybe cpukick?

    'cpukick', hands down.

    > If this turns out okay, TIF_NEED_RESCHED could possibly be deleted as well.

    Cool ...

    Thanks,

    Ingo

      Last update: 2014-02-13 11:21    [W:2.657 / U:0.060 seconds]