SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH 0/3] Add devicetree scanning for randomness
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:45:54PM -0500, Jason Cooper wrote:

> The bootloader would then load this file into ram, and pass the
> address/size to the kernel either via dt, or commandline. kaslr (run in
> the decompressor) would consume some of this randomness, and then
> random.c would consume the rest in a non-crediting initialization.

Sure is a neat idea, but I think in general it would probably be smart
to include the entire FDT blob in the early random pool, that way you
get MACs and other machine unique data too.

From there it is a small step to encourage bootloaders to include
boot-time-variable data in the DT like like 'boot time of day', 'cycle
counter', 'random blob', etc.

Then you just need the bootloader to dump the random-seed file into a
DT property.

Or have the bootloader fetch randomness from any HWRNG it has a driver
for. (eg a TPM)

Jason

  Last update: 2014-02-12 20:01    [W:0.118 / U:0.252 seconds]