SubjectRe: make oldfonfig broken.
Date
On Monday 10 February 2014, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>On 02/09/2014 08:32 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>AUTOSELECT driver feature Better! ugh.

Spit. I presume geneology discussions are off topic. :)

>Good luck. Let me know if you need more guidance.

Hat in hand, I figured I had better get the first one that fails, 3.2.40,
to work before I carried that fwd to a more current kernel, but 5 or 6
builds & boot failure later I am stumped.

The boot gets to top_init, reports the / drive is unavailable and it cannot
load /lib/modules/3.2.40/modules.dep, which does exist.

Stops, times out in about a minute and falls thru to the busybox shell, and
of course my keyboard and mouse are wireless to usb, so neither work, reset
button tap time.

The only reason I can deduce is that because the drive isn't mounted,
something is still missing, either in the vmlinuz file or in the initrd
file.

This most working 3.12.9 bootup shows:

gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.2.40$ lsmod |grep sata
sata_nv 16890 12
libata 146855 2 pata_amd,sata_nv

And I'm pretty sure all that is in the initrd.

Except according to grep, none of that is in
/lib/modules/3.2.40/modules.dep

And I cannot find anyplace in a make xconfig that mentions libata.
So obviously my .config is still fubared. It does grep in the other
modules.dep files for several other versions.

In fact, no .config I have mentions it. At my age the hair is thinning
quickly enough.

So, Next please? libata is missing, and so is sata_nv in spite of that
being enabled:

gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.2.40$ grep SATA_NV .config
CONFIG_SATA_NV=y

But I see thats builtin, but it didn't help.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.

  Last update: 2014-02-13 09:41    [W:0.275 / U:0.736 seconds]