SubjectRe: Cache Allocation Technology Design

Hello All,

Thanks for all the feedback so far and below is the modified 'Kernel
Implementation' Section for review - Rest of the sections are the
same as before with just some changes in text as per changed
implementation , so can be ignored as well ..

Also adding Peter Anvin, Thomas Gleixner, and Ingo Molnar for comments.

Kernel implementation Overview
-------------------------------

Kernel adds a file 'cbm'(cache bit mask) to the existing cpuset cgroup
subsystem to support Cache Allocation.

A CLOS(Class of service) is represented by a CLOSid.CLOSid is internal
to the kernel and not exposed to user. Each cgroup would have one CBM
and would just represent one cache 'subset'.

The cgroup follows cgroup hierarchy ,mkdir and adding tasks to the
cgroup never fails(as it was always there in cpuset already). When a
child cgroup is created it inherits the CLOSid and the CBM from its
parent. When a user changes the default CBM for a cgroup, a new
CLOSid is allocated. The changing of 'cbm' may fail once the kernel
runs out of maximum CLOSids it can support.

The tasks in the cgroup would get to fill the LLC cache represented by
the cgroup's 'cbm' file.

User can use the existing 'cpu_exclusive' file in the cpuset cgroup to
affinitize the tasks in a cgroup to exclusive set of CPUs.

Root directory would have all bits set in 'cbm' file by default. Since
all the children inherit the parent 'cbm' , this effectively makes the
feature not take effect until user changes the cbm - or in other words
the 'cbm' for all the cgroups created would be all 1s if user never
modifies any 'cbm' file.Which means all the tasks get to fill in all
the cache and hence cache allocation is not in effect.

Assignment of CBM,CLOS
---------------------------------

The 'cbm' needs to be a subset of the parent node's 'cbm'.
Any contiguous subset of these bits maybe set to
indicate the cache mapping desired. The 'cbm' between 2 directories
can overlap. The 'cbm' would represent the cache 'subset' of the CAT
cgroup. For ex: on a system with 16 bits of max cbm bits , if the
directory has the least significant 4 bits set in its 'cbm'
file(meaning the 'cbm' is just 0xf), it
would be allocated the right quarter of the Last level cache which
means the tasks belonging to this CAT cgroup can use the right quarter
of the cache to fill. If it has the most significant 8 bits set ,it
would be allocated the left half of the cache(8 bits out of 16
represents 50%).

The cache portion defined in the CBM file is available to all tasks
within the cgroup to fill and these task are not allowed to allocate
space in other parts of the cache.

Scheduling and Context Switch
------------------------------

During context switch kernel implements this by writing the
CLOSid (internally maintained by kernel) of the cgroup to which the
task belongs to the CPU's IA32_PQR_ASSOC MSR.

Usage and Example
-----------------

With this patch the cpuset cgroup would show a new file cpuset.cbm.

cd /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset

Create 2 cpuset cgroups

mkdir group1
mkdir group2

Following are some of the Files in the directory

ls
cpuset.cpus
cpuset.cpu_exclusive
cpuset.mems
cpuset.mem_exclusive

cpuset.cbm

Say if the cache is 2MB and cbm supports 16 bits, then setting the
below allocates the 'right 1/4th(512KB)' of the cache to group2

Assign cpus and memory node to the group2.

cd group2
/bin/echo 1-2 > cpuset.cpus
/bin/echo 0 > cpuset.mems

Make the CPUs exclusive for the cgroup
/bin/echo 1 > cpuset.cpus_exclusive

Edit the CBM for group2 to set the least significant 4 bits. This
allocates 'right quarter' of the cache.

/bin/echo 0xf > cpuset.cbm

Change cpus in the directory.

/bin/echo 1-4 > cpuset.cpus

Edit the CBM for group2 to set the least significant 8 bits.This
allocates the right half of the cache to 'group2'.

cd group2
/bin/echo 0xff > cpuset.cbm

Assign tasks to the group2

/bin/echo PID1 > tasks
/bin/echo PID2 > tasks

Meaning now threads
PID1 and PID2 runs on CPUs 1-2 , and get to fill the 'right half' of
the cache.

Thanks,
Vikas

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014, vikas wrote:

> Hi All , We have put together a draft design document for cache
> allocation technology below. Please review the same and let us know any
> feedback.
>
> Make sure you cc my email vikas.shivappa@linux.intel.com when replying
>
> Thanks,
> Vikas
>
> What is Cache Allocation Technology ( CAT )
>
> Cache Allocation Technology provides a way for the Software (OS/VMM)
> to restrict cache allocation to a defined 'subset' of cache which may
> be overlapping with other 'subsets'. This feature is used when
> allocating a line in cache ie when pulling new data into the cache.
> The programming of the h/w is done via programming MSRs.
>
> The different cache subsets are identified by CLOS identifier (class
> of service) and each CLOS has a CBM (cache bit mask). The CBM is a
> contiguous set of bits which defines the amount of cache resource that
> is available for each 'subset'.
>
> Why is CAT (cache allocation technology) needed
>
> The CAT enables more cache resources to be made available for higher
> priority applications based on guidance from the execution
> environment.
>
> The architecture also allows dynamically changing these subsets during
> runtime to further optimize the performance of the higher priority
> application with minimal degradation to the low priority app.
> Additionally, resources can be rebalanced for system throughput
> benefit. (Refer to Section 17.15 in the Intel SDM
> http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf)
>
> This technique may be useful in managing large computer systems which
> large LLC. Examples may be large servers running instances of
> webservers or database servers. In such complex systems, these subsets
> can be used for more careful placing of the available cache
> resources.
>
> The CAT kernel patch would provide a basic kernel framework for users
> to be able to implement such cache subsets.
>

> Kernel implementation Overview
> -------------------------------
>
> Kernel implements a cgroup subsystem to support Cache Allocation.
>
> Creating a CAT cgroup would create a new CLOS <-> CBM mapping. Each
> cgroup would have one CBM and would just represent one cache 'subset'.
>
> The user would be allowed to create as many directories as there are
> CLOSs defined by the h/w. If user tries to create more than the
> available CLOSs , -ENOSPC is returned. Currently we support only one
> level of directory, ie directory can be created only under the root.
>
> There are 2 modes supported
>
> 1. Affinitized mode : Each CAT cgroup is affinitized to a set of CPUs
> specified by the 'cpus' file. The tasks in the CAT cgroup would be
> constrained only on the CPUs in the 'cpus' file. The CPUs in this file
> are exclusively used for this cgroup. Requests by task
> using the sched_setaffinity() would be filtered through the tasks
> [...]

  Last update: 2014-11-04 00:41    [W:0.175 / U:0.224 seconds]