SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] Reenable might_sleep() checks for might_fault() when atomic
Am 26.11.2014 um 16:37 schrieb Michael S. Tsirkin:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 04:30:32PM +0100, Christian Borntraeger wrote:

>>> This must have been a very old kernel.
>>> A modern kernel will return an error from copy_to_user.
>>
>> I disagree. copy_to_user will not return while holding a spinlock, because it does not know! How should it?
>> See: spin_lock will call preempt_disable, but thats a no-op for a non-preempt kernel. So the mere fact that we hold a spin_lock is not known by any user access function. (or others). No?
>>
>> Christian
>>

> Well might_sleep() merely checks preempt count and irqs_disabled too.
> If you want debugging things to trigger, you need to enable
> a bunch of config options. That's not new.

You miss the point of the whole thread: The problem is that even with debug options enabled, holding a spinlock would not trigger a bug on copy_to_user. So the problem is not the good path, the problem is that a debugging aid for detecting a broken case was lost. Even with all kernel debugging enabled.

That is because CONFIG_DEBUG_ATOMIC_SLEEP selects PREEMPT_COUNT. That means: spin_lock will then be considered as in_atomic and no message comes. Without CONFIG_DEBUG_ATOMIC_SLEEP spin_lock will not touch the preempt_count but we also dont see a message because might_fault is now a nop

I understand that you dont like Davids changes due to other side effects that you have mentioned. So lets focus on how we can fix the debug option. Ok?

Christian

  Last update: 2014-11-26 17:41    [W:0.165 / U:0.044 seconds]