SubjectRe: pinctrl-msm build error on Linus' tree
On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:34:03AM +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 1:12 AM, Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 06:42:55PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> >> However, there is literally nothing else in the tree that calls or
> >> provides those functions:
> >>
> >> [jwboyer@vader linux]$ git grep unregister_restart_handler
> >> drivers/pinctrl/qcom/pinctrl-msm.c: unregister_restart_handler(&pctrl->resta
> >> [jwboyer@vader linux]$
> >>

> >> I'm rather confused. How was this commit built and tested?
>
> I guess the dependent tree was being pulled into linux-next before
> the pinctrl tree, and so the end result was working?
>
> > Looks like the pinctrl tree did not include the merge with the immutable
> > branch with the necessary infrastructure in its pull request to Linus :-(.
>
> Yeah maybe I missed some pull request for that, such things happen.
>
> > As for how it was tested in the pinctrl tree, no idea. Maybe pinctrl-msm has
> > some dependency which was missing in the pinctrl tree and came in through
> > a different pull request.
>
> See above.
>
> Anyway, it is a minor platform, not x86_64. So don't exaggerate
> this thing, and besides the restart notifiers are great.
>
> If we go down the route of trying to always avoid all trouble in the
> world by adding more procedure I guess we shouldn't shoehorn

Not a matter of procedure, but it would have been easy to avoid.
I take at least part of the blame here because I did not follow up
with you to make sure that you merge the infrastructure into your tree.

> too much into the same merge window and should have this
> postponed to v3.19. But I don't know if it buys us so much.

That was the original idea, but the restart handler was way more successful
that I thought it would or could be, so things got pulled in a bit.

Anyway, I tend to agree - there are now several other build failures in
Linus' tree which it inherited from linux-next. I consider those worse,
especially since the majority if not all of those problems were known
from -next but ignored. Wonder what the value of -next is if people
don't care if it builds or not :-(.

But then Linus ignored my pull request (so far), so maybe I did manage to
upset him ;-).

Guenter

  Last update: 2014-10-09 18:41    [W:1.605 / U:0.012 seconds]