SubjectRe: [RFC 2/4] PCI: generic: Add support for ARM64 and MSI(x)
On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 10:39:47PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 October 2014 15:47:50 Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:

> > > Applying the mem_offset is certainly the more intuitive way, since
> > > that lets you read the PCI BAR values from a device and access the
> > > device with the appropriate offsets.
> >
> > Ok, but I am referring to this snippet (drivers/pci/pci-sysfs.c):
> >
> > /* pci_mmap_page_range() expects the same kind of entry as coming
> > * from /proc/bus/pci/ which is a "user visible" value. If this is
> > * different from the resource itself, arch will do necessary fixup.
> > */
> > pci_resource_to_user(pdev, i, res, &start, &end);
> >
> > --> Here start represents a CPU physical address, if pci_resource_to_user()
> > does not fix it up, correct ?
> >
> > vma->vm_pgoff += start >> PAGE_SHIFT;
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > return pci_mmap_page_range(...);
> >
> > pci_mmap_page_range() applies (mem_offset >> PAGE_SHIFT) to pgoff in the
> > ARM implemention.
> >
> > Is not there a mismatch here on platforms where mem_offset != 0 ?
>
> Yes, I think that's right: ARM never gained its own pci_resource_to_user()
> implementation, presumably because nobody ran into this problem and
> debugged it all the way.

Ok. So, unless I am missing something, on platform with mem_offset != 0
/proc and /sys interfaces for remapping PCI resources can't work (IIUC
the proc interface expects the user to pass in the resource address as
seen from /proc/bus/pci/devices - which are not BAR values. Even if the
user passed the BAR value to mmap, pci_mmap_fits() in proc_bus_pci_mmap()
would fail since it compares the pgoff to resource values, which are not
BAR values).

As things stand I think we can safely remove the mem_offset (and
pci_sys_data dependency) from pci_mmap_page_range(). I do not think
we can break userspace in any way, basically because it can't work at
the moment, again, happy to be corrected if I am wrong, please shout.

Or we can add mem_offset to the host bridge (after all architectures like
PowerPC and Microblaze have a pci_mem_offset variable in their host
controllers), but still, this removes pci_sys_data dependency but does
not solve the pci_mmap_page_range() issue.

Lorenzo

  Last update: 2014-10-08 13:01    [W:0.108 / U:0.036 seconds]