SubjectRe: perf & rasd integration plan
On 30.09.14 10:24:16, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 11:06:21AM +0200, Jean Pihet escreveu:
> > The plan is to move the small and generic functions first: util,
> > xyarray, cpumap, thread_map etc; then evlist, evsel, trace-event,
> > trace-event-parse; and finally integrate rasd into the tools/ dir.
> >
> > Any thought? Can evlist, evsel etc. be moved at once?
> >
> > Patches should come soon, when time allows.
>
> Why don't you add it to tools/rasd/ and in tools/rasd/Makefile you just
> go on and add tools/perf/util/evlist.o et all to be linked directly, as
> a first step.
>
> Then, as a second step, we can create a tools/lib/perf/evlist.c having
> what is currently used by both tools/perf/ and tools/rasd/, i.e. what is
> proven to be useful for something other than perf.

It would be good to have tools/lib/perf or so with some base
implementation to setup and connect to perf buffers. This is useful
for tools not only in tools/. The rasd would be a good reference for
this regardless if it is in tools/ or not. I am not sure whether and
when rasd will be moved there.

> As the need arises, we go on moving things into tools/lib/perf/evlist.c
> et all from wherever it appeared first, be it from tools/rasd/,
> tools/perf/util/evlist.c or anywhere else.
>
> Initial rule being that once it is used by multiple tools living in
> tools/, then it deserves a place in tools/lib/perf/.

So this wouldn't quite work well as it excludes tools not in tools/.

-Robert

> Ditto for other stuff currently living in tools/perf/util/.

  Last update: 2014-10-06 11:41    [W:0.127 / U:1.116 seconds]