SubjectRe: [rfcomm_run] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 79 at kernel/sched/core.c:7156 __might_sleep()
On 10/04, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 09:30:29PM +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> > > Or. perhaps we can change wait_woken
> > >
> > > - set_current_state(mode);
> > > + if (mode)
> > > + set_current_state(mode);
> > >

> > > then rfcomm_run() can do
> > >
> > > for (;;) {
> > > rfcomm_process_sessions();
> > >
> > > set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);
> > > if (kthread_should_stop())
> > > break;
> > > wait_woken(0);
> > > }
>
> > probably this makes more sense in this particular case...
>
> Right, in which case the below needs a different justification, but you
> said you were already thinking about it, so there must be something.
>
> And clearly it needs a changelog to begin with :-)

Yes, and the comments ;)

I showed this patch only to complete the discussion, I am not going to
send it now.

But thanks for the review!

> > +static void kthread_kill(struct task_struct *k, struct kthread *kthread)
> > +{
> > + smp_mb__before_atomic();
>
> test_bit isn't actually an atomic op so this barrier is 'wrong'. If you
> need an MB there smp_mb() it is.

Hmm. I specially checked Documentation/memory-barriers.txt,

(*) smp_mb__before_atomic();
(*) smp_mb__after_atomic();

These are for use with atomic (such as add, subtract, increment and
decrement) functions that don't return a value, especially when used for
reference counting. These functions do not imply memory barriers.

These are also used for atomic bitop functions that do not return a
value (such as set_bit and clear_bit).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Either you or memory-barriers.txt should be fixed ;)

> Again, comment is missing.

Yes, yes, we need the comments in set_kthread_wants_signal() and kthread_kill()
to explain that they set/check KTHREAD_WANTS_SIGNAL/KTHREAD_SHOULD_STOP in
opposite order, and we need mb's to separate STORE/LOAD.

And probably set_bit(KTHREAD_SHOULD_STOP) should be moved into kthread_kill()
to make this more clear. (along with __kthread_unpark(), but this reminds me
that __kthread_unpark() should die imho).

> > + if (test_bit(KTHREAD_WANTS_SIGNAL, &kthread->flags)) {
> > + unsigned long flags;
> > + bool kill = true;
> > +
> > + if (lock_task_sighand(k, &flags)) {
>
> Since we do the double test thing here, with the set side also done
> under the lock, so we really need a barrier above?

Yes, otherwise set_kthread_wants_signal() can miss a signal. And note
that the 2nd check is only needed to ensure that we can not race
with set_kthread_wants_signal(false).

BUT!!! I have to admit that I simply do not know if there is any arch

set_bit(&word, X);
test_bit(&word, Y);

which actually needs mb() in between, the word is the same. Probably
not.

Oleg.

  Last update: 2014-10-06 03:01    [W:1.039 / U:0.212 seconds]