SubjectRe: [RFC v2 1/4] backports: replace CPTCFG prefix for CONFIG_BACKPORT
On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 08:41:13AM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-10-29 at 01:21 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > From: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@suse.com>
> >
> > In order to support built-in kernel integration we want to use
> > a more generic approach to defining symbols, CPTCFG was nice as
> > it was short and relied on the fact that kconfig can work with
> > a getenv(CONFIG_) but for kernel integration this doesn't work
> > so well. Instead let's just stick to the regular CONFIG_
> > namespace and add the BACKPORT prefix to it.
> >
> > Apart from these expected changes:
> >
> > for i in $(find ./ | grep -v "\.git"); do perl -pi -e'$_ =~ s|CPTCFG|CONFIG_BACKPORT|gs;' $i; done
>
> I really think you need to make this optional for the in-tree
> generation, otherwise it will complicate things a lot for anyone who's
> already using backports in a way that doesn't have it regenerated all
> the time.

Logistically I do agree this will implicate tons of merge conflicts
if a git tree was used for development based on backports, however
functionally I don't expect this this to create divergence.

> Additionally, CPTCFG_ had the advantage of having the same length as
> CONFIG_, so code style wise it was nicer to replace.
>
> Please make this a post-process step that runs on everything, including
> the backport stuff, rather than running only on the source and assuming
> the backport stuff already uses this convention.

I want to but lets consider the amount of work to maintain the two
separate approaches, is it worth it?

Luis

  Last update: 2014-10-31 20:41    [W:0.068 / U:0.048 seconds]