Subject[ANNOUNCE] Linux 3.16.y.z extended stable support
The Ubuntu kernel team is pleased to announce that we will be
providing extended stable support for the Linux 3.16 kernel until
April 2016 as a third party effort maintained on our infrastructure.
The team will pick up stable maintenance where Greg KH left off with
v3.16.7 [1]. Thank you, Greg.

In addition to the Ubuntu 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" release, the Debian 8
"Jessie" release will also be based on this kernel [2]. Since the
regular support for "Jessie" will go beyond April 2016, after this
date Ben Hutchings (or myself) will continue the Linux 3.16 kernel
maintenance.

Our linux-3.16.y{-queue,-review} stable branches will fork from
v3.16.7
and will be published here:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/linux.git

We will use the same stable request/review workflow and follow the
standard upstream stable kernel rules. More details are available
here [3].

We welcome any feedback and contribution to this effort. We will be
posting the first review cycle patch set in a week or two.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/10/30/583
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2014/07/msg00413.html
[3] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/ExtendedStable

Cheers,