    SubjectRe: A desktop environment[1] kernel wishlist
    On Mon, 2014-10-27 at 08:12 -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
    > On Oct 27, 2014 6:56 AM, "Bastien Nocera" <hadess@hadess.net> wrote:

    > > > I don't know much about desktop environment infrastructure, but I think
    > > > the kernel probably already has a lot of what's needed for LinuxApps.
    > > >
    > > > Tools like Sandstorm [1] (shameless plug, but it's a good example here)
    > > > can already sandbox normal-ish programs, and those sandboxes can be
    > > > launched without privilege [2].
    > > >
    > > > Why is kdbus needed?
    > >
    > > Because it sucks less than passing fd's and using home-made protocols on
    > > top of it.
    >
    > For securely communicating with a container, "it sucks less" is hard
    > to use as a design criterion.

    Sucking less is a requirement when it comes to being able to use it. At
    the very least, when it comes to security, the fact that the protocol
    can be captured and analysed in wireshark is already of great help to
    inspect what each component of the system is doing. More so than passing
    fd's and using a custom protocol on the server and client sides.

    > What's wrong with fds, and how does kdbus solve it?

    By having a well-known protocol and defined semantics on top of that
    communication channel. I could try and re-explain why kdbus is needed,
    but I wouldn't do as good a job as the people working on it, so best to
    refer to the individual threads about kdbus on this list.

      Last update: 2014-10-27 17:21    [W:4.849 / U:0.008 seconds]