SubjectRe: rcu_preempt detected stalls.
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 04:28:16PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:52:21PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > I fairly recently upped the number of child processes I typically run
> > > with, so it being overloaded does sound highly likely.
> >
> > Ah, that could do it! One way to test extreme loads and not trigger
> > RCU CPU stall warnings might be to make all of your child processes all
> > sleep during a given interval of a few hundred milliseconds during each
> > ten-second interval. Would that work for you?
>
> This feels like hiding from the problem rather than fixing it.
> I'm not sure it even makes sense to add sleeps to the fuzzer, other than
> to slow things down, and if I were to do that, I may as well just run
> it with fewer threads instead.

I was thinking of the RCU CPU stall warnings that were strictly due to
overload as being false positives. If trinity caused a kthread to loop
within an RCU read-side critical section, you would still get the RCU
CPU stall warning even with the sleeps.

But just a suggestion, no strong feelings. Might change if there is an
excess of false-positive RCU CPU stall warnings, of course. ;-)

> While the fuzzer is doing pretty crazy stuff, what's different about it
> from any other application that overcommits the CPU with too many threads?

The (presumably) much higher probability of being preempted in the kernel,
and thus within an RCU read-side critical section.

> We impose rlimits to stop people from forkbombing and the like, but this
> doesn't even need that many processes to trigger, and with some effort
> could probably done with even fewer if I found ways to keep other cores
> busy in the kernel for long enough.
>
> That all said, I don't have easy reproducers for this right now, due
> to other bugs manifesting long before this gets to be a problem.

Fair enough! ;-)

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2014-10-23 23:21    [W:0.076 / U:0.308 seconds]