SubjectRe: A desktop environment[1] kernel wishlist
On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 12:28:12PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>
>> Why is kdbus needed?
>
> Presumably because freedesktop crowd has made an architectural mistake and
> pushed dbus as solution to all problems. And ran into limitations of
> that, er, solution. Then, instead of perhaps reconsidering the wisdom of
> their inspired decision, went for "let's push it kernelwards, it might
> somewhat reduce the overhead and problems will be easier to chalk up to
> something wrong being done by the kernel".

Well, yes, but the question I was actually trying to ask is: why does
a containerized app need any kernel help at all for communication with
the rest of the system (using dbus or anything else)? Passing socket
fds into a container works just fine.

--Andy

  Last update: 2014-10-21 22:21    [W:0.155 / U:0.128 seconds]