SubjectRe: state of the osdblk driver?
On 10/21/2014 03:21 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:
>> The osdblk driver hsa seen literally no change except for global
>> API changes since it was merged, and I've never heard of a user.
>>
>> Is this something we want to keep around? I just noticed it because
>> it's the only non-SCSI user of some of the old block layer tagging
>> functions.
>
> Drop it, if there are no users.
>
> It was simulating an OSD, but there did not seem to be much beyond
> academic interest, and some interest in the use of aforementioned
> block functions as a useful exercise in block driver writing.

It is used in testing, its a good way to compare ext4 over objects
vs exofs over objects, kind of compare apples with apples.
(Also at the get go it was a good test that found some bugs in the
bring up of the osd target)

If there is an old tagging API need removing its fine to just drop
the support, and/or do the minimal change possible. What was the
tag used for anyway?

If it bothers you very much then please remove it, send a patch
and I'll ACK it.

[Just that I thought we don't do that. I can show you a dozen
ISA scsi LLD controllers which are a complete pain in the neck
with a all subsection core support. There is not a single system
on the planet that has this even possible, yet we do not remove
them nor the ISA bus crap. osdblk at least is a SW only exercise
that can be very much valid in any system.
]

Your call sir, I'm with you on this
Thanks
Boaz

  Last update: 2014-10-21 15:21    [W:0.059 / U:0.200 seconds]