SubjectLinux 3.18-rc1
From
So when I released 3.17, I said that I'd extend the merge window to
three weeks due to travel.

I clearly lied.

Because here we are, the usual two weeks later, and I've already
pushed out 3.18-rc1.

What happened is that not only did I merge actively despite travels -
I was out of communication just for a couple of days (almost, but not
entirely, due to flights - the hotel in Düsseldorf lost all internet
for a day too). But perhaps more importantly, people seem to have
aggressively sent in their pull requests, because rc1 contains more
than linux-next did a couple of days after 3.17.. So holding it up
another week just seems pointless.

That said, I realize that people might have taken my statements at
face value, and planned with that in mind. I hate it when I get pull
requests really late in the merge window, but having closed it as per
the regular schedule, I also understand that somebody might have
planned on sending their pull request a bit later. It's ok. Grovel a
bit, and explain what's up, and you can almost certainly guilt me into
taking stuff.

Also, maybe I just missed something due to jetlag (hmm. yes, let's
call it "jetlag", that sounds so much better than "core incompetence
and bad planning"), so if you feel unfairly overlooked, send me a note
explaining how I've unfairly wronged you.

There is also at least one pull request that I am hoping to get asap
and planning on still pulling, ie I'm very much still hoping to get
overlayfs finally merged. But there were a few last-minute questions
from Al. Assuming that all works out, that's an expected late pull.
Not worth holding up the rc1 release for one known straggler, though.

So there you have it. The merge window is closed, but with room for
excuses and possible missed requests. As usual, the shortlog is much
too big to post (core stats: roughly 74% drivers, 10% architecture
updates, the rest networking, filesystems, core kernel, documentation,
include files, tool updates...), and the appended is my "mergelog"
which as usual credits the people I pulled from, which is not at all
necessarily the same as the people writing the code.

Go forth and test,

Linus

---

Al Viro (1):
vfs updates

Alex Williamson (1):
VFIO updates

Andrew Morton (2):
patch-bomb
second patch-bomb

Andy Lutomirski (2):
do_umount fix
pivot_root() fix

Anton Altaparmakov (1):
NTFS update

Arnd Bergmann (7):
ARM SoC non-critical bug fixes
ARM SoC cleanups
ARM SoC platform changes
ARM SoC DT updates
ARM SoC driver updates
ARM SoC defconfig changes
ARM64 SoC changes

Artem Bityutskiy (1):
UBI/UBIFS fixes

Behan Webster (1):
LLVM updates

Bjorn Helgaas (1):
PCI updates

Borislav Petkov (1):
EDAC fixes

Brian Norris (1):
MTD update

Bruce Fields (1):
nfsd updates

Catalin Marinas (1):
arm64 updates

Chris Mason (2):
btrfs updates
btrfs data corruption fix

Chris Metcalf (1):
arch/tile updates

Corey Minyard (1):
ipmi patches

Dan Williams (1):
dmaengine updates

Darren Hart (1):
x86 platform driver updates

Dave Airlie (1):
drm updates

Dave Chinner (1):
xfs update

David Howells (1):
fs-cache fixes

David Miller (8):
networking updates
sparc updates
networking fixes
IDE cleanup
Sparc bugfix
networking fixes
networking fixes
sparc fixes

David Teigland (1):
dlm fix

David Vrabel (1):
Xen updates

Dmitry Torokhov (2):
input updates
second round of input updates

Eric Paris (1):
audit updates

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
m68k updates

Grant Likely (1):
devicetree changes

Greg KH (6):
USB updates
staging updates
tty/serial driver updates
driver core update
compression update
char/misc driver updates

Greg Ungerer (1):
m68knommu update

Guenter Roeck (2):
restart handler infrastructure
hwmon updates

Helge Deller (1):
parisc fix

Herbert Xu (1):
crypto update

Ingo Molnar (22):
timer fixes
RCU updates
arch atomic cleanups
core locking updates
perf updates
perf fixes
watchdog fixes
scheduler updates
x86 asm updates
x86 bootup updates
x86 build update
x86 cleanups
x86 cpu offlining patch
x86 cpufeature updates
x86 FPU updates
x86 microcode loading updates
x86 mm updates
x86 platform updates
x86 seccomp changes
x86 fixes
x86 ras, uv and vdso fixlets
more perf updates

Jaegeuk Kim (1):
f2fs updates

James Bottomley (1):
SCSI updates

James Morris (2):
security subsystem updates
selinux fix

Jan Kara (1):
UDF and quota updates

Jeff Layton (1):
file locking related changes

Jens Axboe (2):
core block layer changes
block layer driver update

Jiri Kosina (3):
documentation updates
"trivial tree" updates
HID updates

Joerg Roedel (1):
IOMMU updates

Jon Mason (1):
ntb (non-transparent bridge) updates

Josh "Paper Bag" Triplett (1):
tinification fix

Josh Triplett (1):
"tinification" patches

Lee Jones (2):
backlight driver updates
MFD updates

Lennox Wu (1):
S+core updates

Linus Walleij (2):
pin control changes
GPIO changes

Marc Zyngier (1):
second batch of changes for KVM/{arm,arm64}

Marek Szyprowski (1):
dma-mapping update

Mark Brown (3):
regmap updates