SubjectRe: current mainline doesn't boot
Same thing happened after pulling newly updated mainline kernel
changes a few minutes ago.

Black screen on boot just when you would expect x to be starting.
Hung. Ctl-alt-F1 doesn't do anything.

arch is x86_64.

3.17.1 works. When I get time I will see if I can figure out more
useful info but this looks like a pretty boring setup:

sfrench@ubuntu:~$ glxinfo | grep -i "vendor"
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
sfrench@ubuntu:~$ grep LoadModule /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 18.271] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[ 18.288] (II) LoadModule: "vmware"
[ 18.352] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[ 18.355] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[ 18.360] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[ 18.369] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
[ 18.372] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[ 18.379] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[ 18.479] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[ 18.484] (II) LoadModule: "vmmouse"

--
Thanks,

Steve

  Last update: 2014-10-19 00:21    [W:0.067 / U:0.172 seconds]